Thursday, June 2, 2011

Sephora Spring Nail Trend DIY

In March, I was playing around with the Sephora iPhone app and stumbled upon some Spring trend videos. They were talking about brights, romantic looks, and how you can translate some of the Spring runway trends into your everyday makeup look. During one of the videos, an image of the model for the romantic look flashed across the screen with a really cute subtle color block mani on her artfully displayed fingers. I was able to scrub the video and get a screen grab:


This nail look became my obsession. I couldn't think about anything else until I found the colors I needed to make this happen. Everything about it was appealing. The subtlety of the shades, the awesomeness that is the half-moon mani, and the fact that the model looks a little bit like Fiona from Burn Notice, right? So my search was on.




I dragged my BF to Ulta with me, armed with my precious screen grab to see if I could match the colors enough to make it work. We must have looked like total psychos, huddled in the corner of the Ulta, holding up different polish shades and saying, "No, too brown," or, "This one looks right for the base shade, but do I already have this color?" Then congratulating each other with high fives when we settled on the appropriate colors. This is why I love him. He doesn't mind humoring my quests for silly things like this.

Ended up with Ulta Professional Nail Lacquer in "Girl Next Door" for the lighter color and an OPI color I already had, everyone's favorite "Barefoot in Barelona."

So here's how it came out. Please excuse my horrid, ugly cuticles in this picture. It was taken after a rough work week which was murder on my hands. Seche Vite basically made it bulletproof, so no chips! This was taken in natural light on the steering wheel of my car, because I'm classy like that.



Hope you enjoyed! I promise I'm going to move on from the half-moon/color block manicures soon. I seem to be going through a phase with them. Next, I'll probably experiment with the new set of nail art brushes I picked up at Sally. Yay.

No comments:

Post a Comment